Friday, April 8, 2011

Book Review: Where She Went: Gayle Forman


“Where She Went” is the sequel to the book “If I Stay” by Gayle Forman.  I read that there was going to be a sequel a couple of months ago.  I was not entirely pleased to hear this because (a) it was a great stand-alone and (b) I had decided what had happened to Mia and Adam and did not want the author to mess with my vision.
If you have not read the first book, I highly encourage you to read it as you will not understand where Adam is coming from in this book.  In the first book, we have the point of view of Mia and what she is going through.  Through her descriptions, we met Adam her boyfriend.  Let me state right here that Adam was amazing throughout the crisis that she was going through.  His love was Mia was so incredible that he made my “top YA boyfriends” list.
“Where She Went” focuses on Adam’s life three years later.  He is nothing but a shell of the person that he was.  Why?  Well, because Mia dumped him.  This is where I started getting a little peeved with the author.  This was certainly not my fantasy ending.  However, Forman has this knack of weaving a story that leaves you pondering every aspect of the life that Adam and Mia have lived since the tragedy three years ago.  And once we get to hear Mia’s side, it starts to make sense.  Although I did not cry as much as the first book, there are certainly some weepy moments.
Overall, I think Foreman did a fantastic job writing Adam’s side of the story.  She was able to create for the reader a range of emotions that certainly tie you to this book.  At times, I was downright sad and then was very angry but at the end of it all I walked away feeling okay with this book.  BTW, I bought the book last night and finished it early this morning.  I was so restless that here I am at close to 3 am blogging about the book because I cannot stop thinking about it.

No comments: